ISOLA DI CIPRO //CYPRVS Insula olim Macharia, idest beata, in Carpathĳ sinu Maximo Jssicus dictus, sita est, Venere sacra nouem iam regnorum sedes. Hic pannus ex caprarum pilis, nulgo Ciabellatt' nominatus. Cerui gregatim è Cilicia in Cyprū tranant, capita in præcedentium clunibus imponētes. Ambitus eius fertur MMM C D XX.
This anonymous map, the engraving of which is attributed to Paolo Forlani on stylistic grounds, circulated in Venice and Rome as a separate sheet, and shows similarities with two maps ascribed to Ferrando Bertelli, the first printed in 1562.
This singular map gives a very rare depiction of Nicosia, surrounded by the walls with the typically square ramparts constructed by the Franks. In 1567 the Venetians demolished these in order to construct new, more modern, fortifications in view of the imminent Turkish invasion.